"Knowing this one detail would have helped me bypass DAYS worth of research."
Do you have a basic idea of how to work with Docker, but the confidence isn't there yet?
Tired of running into the same "Hello World" style examples again and again, but missing the big picture view?
You wouldn't even know where to start looking for it. Instead, you're often stumbling from an error to the next just to realise that the approach you chose was the mistake all along.
Containers Can Be a Powerful Tool.
If used correctly. Imagine being confident that you are using Docker the way it's supposed to be used.
Knowing exactly why you are making a choice and how things work.
Every major change to your Dockerfiles and configs being intentional, well-informed and an improvement instead of a guess.
"Once I knew, everything finally started making sense!"
All the tutorials, courses and books so far have been focusing on how things work. They have been missing two important components which are harder to come by:
- The context of Docker and containers - the reasons "why" things are the way they are.
- Little details which feel so obvious, that experts take them for granted.
If you feel like you are missing something, it might be small details, and big-picture mental models.
This is knowledge, which you can acquire through osmosis by working with experienced practitioners, and well-tuned teams. If you're learning on your own, chatting to people at conferences or sifting through dozens of blog posts are your next best bet. But that would take a lot of time and effort...
Have you struggled to get your head around Docker for a while already? You're able to use it, but don't feel like you quite get it?
The Puzzle Pieces You Have Been Missing to Make Sense of Docker.
This short book was written to fundamentally change the way you look at Docker and the container ecosystem.
Essential mental models and pieces of knowledge which will help you to finally make sense of containers and why they are the way they are.
Opinionated advice to help you develop your own perspective.
Tribal knowledge, well-known among experienced practitioners but rarely written about.
All the parts which are hard to acquire and deduce on your own, except through extensive research and experience.
Concise, high-density expertise. All in one place.
Topics Which Are Covered
- What use cases containers are especially well-suited for.
- What containers won’t help you solve.
- What powers container technology under the hood.
- What common primitives exist (apart from containers and images) and why they look the way they do.
- Understanding Docker - the tool and its jobs.
- Frequent gotchas around containers to watch out for.
- What practical problems containers introduce.
- Container runtimes, and how the ecosystem is developing.
"Is this right for me?"
- "I don't feel like reading another long book." - this one is really short and gets to the point right away, no fluff.
- "Will it be worth my time?" - If this book will help you save two hours, you have broken even on the time invested and money spent. I think this book can save you days of stumbling around and fixing avoidable errors.
- "Are you going to tell me how to run a "Hello World" container?" - Nope. We will focus on understanding why things are the way they are. Not getting lost in busywork.
- "I already bought a long course about Docker." - The course was probably about the "how" and didn't show you a complete picture of Docker. This book is about understanding the "why".
- "I can probably find all of this on the internet, right?" - Totally. But it's SO MUCH TO READ, and you have to sort out what's reliable. And you will probably still run into things you missed or misunderstood regularly. I think this book can save you a lot of time and effort.
"What if I don't like the book?"
No problem! I offer an unconditional money-back guarantee: if you're not happy for any reason, just let me know and I'll refund your purchase.
This Book Is Different.
Unlike other tutorials, books and courses, this book completely focuses on the why behind all the "how".
Instead of piecing information together from dozens of sources, everything is in one place.
Instead of stuffing in content to fill more pages, this book is short and to the point by design. No unnecessary filler.
This Is an Early-Version Sale
The book is in an early-draft phase, and currently only 19$ because it's an early-bird price. If you buy now, you can secure the low price and will get all future updates for free.
As soon as there is an initial version, the price will go up, and then again after everything is finished.
Who Is Talking?
Hey, I’m Vladislav! I love to share the things I know, and help people to level up their skills. I’m a former startup founder, machine learning enthusiast and DevOps geek. When I’m not writing new articles around Docker, Django and Kubernetes over at https://vsupalov.com, I’m consulting companies on improving their Docker workflows.